Deadline: May 31, 2023
Entry fee: £11
About the competition
All we ask is that you please keep poems to 42 lines, max. You can, of course, write less. In addition to the prize money, our top three winning poems are automatically entered into the Forward Prize For Poetry’s competition, with the chance to win a further £1000.
When it comes to the Bridport Prize competition, you can write about absolutely anything but whatever your rhyme or reason, we want to read your poetry.
- The Prize is open to writers of any nationality writing in English aged 16 and over at the time of the closing date (the novel award has different criteria. See the novel page for details).
- Entries must be entirely your own work. Any evidence to the contrary will result in immediate disqualification.
- Entries must not have been published, self-published, published on any website, blog or online forum, broadcast, have won or been placed (2nd, 3rd, runner up etc) in any other competition.
- If your entry has been long-listed or shortlisted in other competitions, and provided it has not won a prize or been published, it is eligible.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed but will become ineligible should they win a prize elsewhere, be published or scheduled for future publication prior to the date of prize giving. Entry fees will not be refunded.
- You must inform us immediately should your entry be published or win a prize elsewhere.
- Entries submitted posthumously are not eligible.
- Read the whole guideline and submit your entry here.