Deadline: November 16, 2022
Entry fee: $12
About the competition
The SmokeLong Quarterly Award for Flash Fiction (The Smokey) is a biennial competition that celebrates and compensates excellence in flash. Our first grand prize winner in 2018 was “Whale Fall” by Alvin Park. In 2020 Abby Feden won the top prize with “To Pieces”. Both stories appeared in The Best Small Fictions in their respective years. In addition. Jasmine Sawers’ piece “All Your Fragile History” was a finalist for Best of the Net in 2020, and Leonora Desar’s third-place story “*69” was included in The Best Small Fictions.
The grand prize winner of The Smokey is automatically nominated for The Best Small Fictions, The Pushcart, Best of the Net, and any other prize we deem appropriate. In addition to all this love, we will also pay the grand prize winner $2500. Second place: $1000. Third place $500. Finalists: $100. All finalists and placers will be published in the special competition issue in December 2022.
- Open to anyone on the planet aged 18+.
- Your entry must be previously unpublished.
- You may write in English or in any other language as long as an English translation accompanies your entry. Our decision will be based on the English translation. Winnings, if any, will be split evenly between the translator and writer.
- Your entry must be 1000 words or fewer, excluding the title. There is no minimum word count requirement.
- You may enter as many times as you like, but an entry fee must accompany each entry. If you are submitting multiple entries at the same time, they must all be in the same document.
- Your name must NOT appear on the entry itself. This includes the filename, headers and footers. Your name and contact information should appear ONLY in the cover letter.
- Enter the contest here.