Deadline: January 31, 2023
Entry fee: $20
About the competition
The Masters Review’s Short Story Award for New Writers is a bi-annual contest that recognizes the best fiction from today’s emerging writers. Judging 2022-2023’s winter contest is Morgan Talty, author the story collection Night of the Living Rez. Winners and honorable mentions receive agency review from five agencies as well as publication. The winning story earns $3000, while the second and third place runners up receive $300 and $200, respectively. Participating agents include: Nat Sobel from Sobel Weber, Victoria Cappello from The Bent Agency, Andrea Morrison from Writers House, Sarah Fuentes from Fletcher & Company, and Heather Schroder from Compass Talent. Our mission from day one has been to support emerging writers. We want you to succeed. We want your words to be read.
- Winner receives $3000, publication, and agency review
- Second and third place prizes ($300 / $200, publication, and agency review)
- Stories under 6000 words
- Previously unpublished stories only
- Simultaneous and multiple submissions allowed
- Emerging writers only; writers with book-length work published or under contract with a major press are ineligible. (We are interested in offering a larger platform to new writers. Authors with short story collections are free to submit new, unpublished work, as are writers with books published by indie presses or self-published.)
- International English submissions allowed. No translations.
- Double-spaced, 12 pt easy-to-read font (i.e., Times New Roman, Garamond, etc.) please!
- $20 entry fee
- Deadline: January 31, 2023
- All stories are considered for publication
- All submissions will receive a response by the end of April
- Winners will be announced by the end of May
- Friends, family and associates of the final judge are not eligible for this award. Consider submitting to the Summer contest!
- A significant portion of the editorial letter fees go to our feedback editor, according to the rates established by the EFA
- Read the whole guideline and submit your entry here.