Deadline: February 21, 2023
Entry fee: $20
About the competition
Hidden River Arts offers a yearly prize of $1000 and publication in Hidden River Press, an imprint of Hidden River Publishing, for an unpublished book-length collection of poetry between 75 and 100 pages long.
The award is open to all poets writing in English around the world. We accept simultaneous submissions, and ask only that you notify us immediately if your manuscript has been accepted for publication elsewhere. We also accept multiple submissions; each book-length manuscript must be submitted separately.
- Individual poems included in the submission may have been published, as long as all rights have reverted to the poet. Please provide a full list of publications: titles, where published, date of publication, and confirmation of your rights.
- Please include an introductory statement about your collection (approximately TWO paragraphs) where you discuss the themes, subject exploration, and the ways in which the poems in this collection coalesce to create a larger, overarching, work. This serves as a synopsis of the collection. Entries without this requested synopsis will be immediately discarded.
- Manuscripts should include, in this order, the introductory statement, title page, table of contents, and when appropriate, an acknowledgments page. Manuscripts should be paginated and formatted in an easy-to-read font . If your poetry has special formatting, please be sure that you upload the manuscript as a PDF. Please be sure that your cover letter includes full contact information, and include a brief bio and something about yourself that would not be included in a resume.
- All decisions are made by the Hidden River Staff and are final. We reserve the right to withhold the prize on any given year should our staff decide that no manuscripts meet the winning criteria.
- Questions? Please email hiddenriverarts@gregkerstetter
- Hidden River accepts submissions and payment of the entry fee ($20) exclusively through our online submission manager, Submittable. We are not able to accept submissions via email or postal mail. Manuscripts should include an artist’s statement that discusses the ways in which the poetry collection works as a whole – its themes, motifs, explorations. It should also include a title page, table of contents, and when appropriate, an acknowledgments page. Manuscripts should be paginated and formatted in an easy-to-read font . Please include a brief bio, your full address and something about yourself in your cover note on Submittable.
- Winning manuscripts are chosen by our staff, and all decisions are final. The winner receives $1,000 and publication with Hidden River Press, an imprint of Hidden River Publishing. Prize money awarded upon publication