Deadline: November 12, 2023
Entry fee: $20
About the competition
The competition is organized by The Masters Review, an American literary magazine and book publisher. The competition is open to emerging writers.
Each fall, The Masters Review hosts a call for novel excerpts!
You may submit an excerpt from any section of your completed or in-progress novel, but choose wisely: a synopsis should not be required for understanding the excerpt. As always, we have no limitations on genre, though we are primarily interested in literary fiction.
Entries should be in English. Maximum word count is 6000 words.
Submitted work must be previously unpublished.
- Submitted excerpts must be under 6,000 words.
- Submitted work must be previously unpublished. This includes personal blogs, social media accounts, and other websites. Previously published excerpts will be immediately disqualified.
- The entry fee is $20.
- Simultaneous and multiple submissions are allowed, though each submission requires a $20 entry fee.
- The winner receives $3,000; online publication; and a consultation with Halley Dunne Perry, a literary agent with The Hamilburg Agency.
- The second- and third-place finalists receive cash prizes ($300/$200), online publication, and agent feedback.
- If your submission is accepted or contracted elsewhere, please withdraw your submission on Submittable, or contact us otherwise to let us know the piece is no longer available.
- Read the whole guideline and submit an entry here.