Deadline: October 15, 2023
Entry fee: $25
About the competition
Silverfish Review Press sponsors the Gerald Cable Book Award. This prize is awarded annually to a book-length manuscript of original poetry by an author who has not yet published a full-length collection. There are no restrictions on the kind of poetry or subject matter; translations are not acceptable.
The editor, Rodger Moody, will serve as final judge. Friends and former associates of the editor are ineligible to submit their work to the GCBA.
The winner will receive $1000, publication, and 25 copies of the book.
We are keen to encourage quality submissions, so suggest writers to check their stories before submitting using Prowritingaid. They have free and paid versions and are the best writing software we know to help improve grammar, readability and check for repetition, ‘sticky’ sentences and suggest alternatives.
- Manuscripts should be at least 48 pages in length. Clean photocopies are acceptable. The poet’s name should not appear on the manuscript. Include a separate title page with author’s name, address, phone number and email address.
- Poems may have appeared in periodicals, chapbooks or anthologies, but should be acknowledged. No changes in the manuscript will be considered after submission.
- Manuscripts will not be returned. Be sure to keep a copy of your work. Each entry submitted via postal mail must include an SASE for notification of the contest results. For acknowledgement of receipt of manuscript, include a stamped, self-addressed postcard. Contests results will also be announced in Poets & Writers.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable. Notify SRP immediately if your manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere.
- All entrants will receive a copy of the winning book. Finalists and semi-finalists may receive feedback upon request.
- Read the whole guideline and submit your entry here.