Deadline: October 3, 2022
Entry fee: $25
About the competition
The contest is organized by the Australian Book Review.
“ The Peter Porter Poetry Prize is one of Australia’s most prestigious prizes for a new poem. The Prize – open to all poets writing in English – is named after the great Australian poet Peter Porter (1929–2010).
Entries must be a single poem of no more than 70 lines, written in English. Poems can be on any subject and in any style.
Poems must not have been previously published.
The judges are Sarah Holland-Batt, Des Cowley, and James Jiang.
Entries must be submitted online via the ABR website.
- Entries are now open for the nineteenth Peter Porter Poetry Prize, for which all poets writing in English are eligible.
- Entries are open from 11 July until 3 October 2022. This year the Porter Prize is worth a total of $10,000 – with a first prize of $6,000.
- Entries must be an original single-authored poem of not more than 70 lines. Poems must not have been previously published. The five shortlisted poems will be published in the January–February 2023 issue and the winner will be announced at a ceremony later that month.
- The Peter Porter Poetry Prize is one of Australia’s most lucrative and respected poetry awards. It honours the life and work of the great Australian poet Peter Porter (1929–2010), an honoured contributor to ABR for many years. All poets writing in English are eligible to enter.
- Before entering the Porter Prize, all poets must read the Terms and Conditions. Please read our Frequently Asked Questions before contacting us with queries about the Porter Prize.
- Enter the Peter Porter Poetry Prize here.