Deadline: July 15, 2022
Entry fee: $25
About the competition
Rattle’s mission is to promote the practice of poetry.
We feel that poetry lost its way in the 20th century, to the point that mainstream readers have forgotten how moving language alone can be. As a result, most people learn to find their feelings in music, movies, and novels, while poetry languishes on its lone shelf in the bookstores, waiting only for the occasional cameo at a university workshop.
But it shouldn’t take a scholar to be moved by the written word—great literature has something to offer everyone. All our lives are compelling, full of joys and burdens and profound experiences we should be sharing—and poetry is the most intimate way to share it. When you read a poem, you become the medium; the poet speaks in your voice, and paints the canvas of your inner eye.
- The entry fee is a one-year subscription to Rattle (or a one-year extension for subscribers) at our regular $25 rate. Prior to May 1st, new subscriptions will start with the Summer 2022 issue, arriving in June. After May 1st, new subscriptions will start with the Fall 2022 issue, arriving September 1st. Current subscribers will receive a one-year extension.
- One $15,000 Winner and ten $500 Finalists will be selected in a blind review by the editors of Rattle and printed in the Winter 2022 issue; one $5,000 Readers’ Choice Award will then be chosen from among the Finalists by subscriber and entrant vote.
- Open to writers, worldwide; poems must be written primarily in English (no translations except by the original author). Rattle’s winter issue must be a potential first publication for all works submitted. No previously published works, or works accepted for publication elsewhere. Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but we must be notified immediately if any poems are accepted elsewhere. On Submittable, log in, click on the submission, and send us a message using that system to let us know.
- No identifying personal or contact information should appear on in any files with poems. We can’t know who you are while reading; but your contact information will be saved on Submittable.
- Entry fees are non-refundable and cannot be edited during the judging process. Send up to four poems per entry. There is no line-limit. Poems may be any length, any style, or any subject. Multiple entries by a single poet are accepted, however each group of four poems must be treated as a separate entry, each with its own cover sheet and an additional $25 fee. Each additional entry will add an extra year to your subscription.
- Winners will be announced September 15, 2022, and the Readers’ Choice Award Winner will be announced February 15, 2023. Additional entries may also be offered standard publication.
- Entries may only be submitted online through Submittable.