Deadline: January 31, 2023
Entry fee: $27
About the competition
Each year Black Lawrence Press will award The Big Moose Prize for an unpublished novel. The prize is open to new, emerging, and established writers. The winner of this contest will receive book publication, a $1,000 cash award, and ten copies of the book. Prizes will be awarded on publication.
The Big Moose Prize is open to traditional novels as well as novels-in-stories, novels-in-poems, and other hybrid forms that contain within them the spirit of a novel.
- Black Lawrence Press accepts submissions and payment of the entry fee ($27) exclusively through our online submission manager, Submittable. We are not able to accept submissions via email or postal mail.
- Entries are read by senior Black Lawrence Press editors and a rotating panel of former Big Moose Prize winners. That panel currently includes:
-Tracy DeBrincat, author of Hollywood Buckaroo
-Ron Nyren, author of The Book of Lost Light
-Jill Stukenberg, author of News of the Air
- All manuscripts should include a title page (listing only the title of the work), and when appropriate, an acknowledgments page and table of contents. Manuscripts should be paginated and formatted in an easy-to-read font such as Garamond or Times New Roman. Manuscripts should be 90-1,000 pages in length, not including front and back matter (table of contents, title page, etc.). Identifying information for the author should not be included anywhere on the manuscript itself. You are welcome to include a brief bio or something about yourself in your cover note on Submittable, which will only be made accessible to the editorial panel after the group of Semi-Finalist and Finalist manuscripts has been chosen.
- Need help with our submissions manager?
- Click here to submit your entry.