Deadline: September 28, 2022
Entry fee: $28
About the competition
Established in 1998, The George Garrett Fiction Prize highlights one book a year for excellence in a short story collection or novel. Since 2019, the prize comes with a $1,000 advance, a standard royalty contract, and 20 copies of the published book.
- Submissions are open July 1 – September 30.
- A fee of $28 must be paid at the time of submission.
- Open to anyone writing in English. Translations are not eligible.
- Stories or excerpts may have been published individually in magazines or anthologies, but the collection as a whole must be unpublished.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable. Please notify TRP immediately by withdrawing the manuscript via Submittable if the manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- Current and former students and faculty of Sam Houston State University are not eligible. Family or former students of the final judge are not eligible. Previous winners of this contest, and current or former TRP authors are not eligible.
- Submissions are accepted through Submittable only.
- Winner receives a $1,000 advance, a standard royalty contract, and 20 copies of the published book.
- Winner will be announced in November/December 2022.
- Submit your entry here.