Deadline: December 1, 2022
Entry fee: $29
About the competition
The eighteenth Anthony Hecht Poetry Prize is now open for submissions. Anyone over the age of 18 may submit who has not already published more than one full-length poetry collection.
The winner will receive a purse of $3,000, and his or her collection will be published by Waywiser in the USA and the UK in the spring of 2024. The winner and the judge will give a reading under the auspices of the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington D.C. on the day the book is launched.
Submit online a manuscript of between 48 and 88 pages with a $29 entry fee by the deadline of midnight on December 1st 2022.
Inquiries to: [email protected]
- Manuscripts should be a minimum of 48 and a maximum of 88 pages (the count to include poems and exclude back and front matter).
- Manuscripts should be word-processed – preferably in 11-point type – on standard document size.
- Pages should be numbered consecutively, and a table of contents, as well as a list of acknowledgements (where appropriate), should be included.
- The author’s name and contact details (i.e. physical address, phone number and email address) should appear on the front page of the manuscript and nowhere else.
- No illustrative material should be sent.
- A list of previous poetry book, chapbook or pamphlet publications should be included, and with it a list of the magazines in which you have had poems published.
- Entrants may submit a manuscript elsewhere simultaneously but should immediately notify The Waywiser Press of its withdrawal from the competition if it is accepted for publication by another organization.
- Once submitted, a manuscript may not be altered, though the winner of the prize will be given the opportunity to revise before publication.
- The Waywiser Press cannot accept responsibility for missing submissions.
- If the judge is not satisfied that a high-enough standard has been met, The Waywiser Press reserves the right not to award the prize in a particular year.
- Read the whole guideline here.
- Submit your manuscript here.