Deadline: May 31, 2022
Reading Fee: $30
About the contest
For the 2022 contest, the Autumn House staff as well as select outsider readers serve as the preliminary readers, and the final judge is Venita Blackburn. The winner receives publication of a full-length manuscript and $2,500. The submission period opens January 1, 2022, and closes May 31, 2022 (Eastern Time). We will announce the finalists and the winner of the contest by October 1, 2022.
- The winner will receive book publication, a $1,000 honorarium, and a $1,500 travel/publicity grant to promote their book
- All finalists will be considered for publication
- Fiction submissions should be approximately 200-300 double-spaced pages (50,000- 75,000 words)
- The reading fee is $30 (We will waive the submission fee for those undergoing financial hardship or living with limited means. Before you reach out to request a waived fee, please read our full statement and instructions here. If the guidelines are not followed, we will not be able to offer a waived fee.)
- All fiction sub-genres (short stories, short-shorts, novellas, or novels) or any combination of sub-genres are eligible
- Submission should be previously unpublished
- Do not include your name anywhere on the actual manuscript
- You may include a brief bio in the “cover letter” section of Submittable
- Do not include a bio or an acknowledgments page in the manuscript
- Feel free to include a table of contents (This does not count a part of your final page count)
- Simultaneous submissions permitted
- Friends, family members, and former students of judges or Autumn House editors may not submit to the contest. Students do not include interactions at short-term residencies or fellowships.
- Former employees of Autumn House, including interns, may not submit to the contest.
- Submit your entry here.