Deadline: March 15, 2023
Entry fee: $35
About the competition
Five winning poets will each receive a $10,000 cash prize in addition to having a full-length manuscript published by a participating publisher. Open to U.S. residents and American citizens living abroad.
- All manuscripts must be previously unpublished in their complete form, although some or all of the individual poems may have appeared in periodicals.
- Translations, chapbooks, small groups of poems, and self-published books are not eligible.
- Manuscript length is not limited. However, a length of 48-64 pages is suggested.
- Manuscripts must be paginated and contain a Table of Contents.
- Because all submissions are anonymously submitted, and must be preserved as such until the end of the contest, please observe the following: The cover page of the manuscript should list the title of the manuscript only. No personal information of any kind, including name, address, phone number or email address should appear anywhere within the manuscript. All contact information will be entered separately in the entrant’s Submittable account. Any manuscript containing personal information will not be considered for review, and refunds of the application fee will not be returned.
- Please also do not include: Acknowledgments, explanatory statements, resumes, autobiographical statements, photographs, illustrations, or artwork.
- A list of previous publications or appearances in periodicals should not be included.
- When saving manuscripts, entrants should not “name” the manuscript with their last name in their personal computer storage, as that will appear when the reader opens the manuscript. For example: John Smith should not save his manuscript as “Smith_Poetry _Manuscript.doc.”
- No additions, deletions, or substitutions are allowed once a manuscript has been submitted. Entrants should inform NPS immediately if their manuscript is selected for publication elsewhere.
- Read the whole guideline and enter the competition here.