Deadline: September 26, 2022
Entry fee: £5
About the competition
Judged by Joshua Bennett & Victoria Kennefick
- first prize £2,000
- second prize £1,000
- third prize £500
- plus 20 comments
- plus – winners read with judges at the 2022 prize-night celebration on mon 5 Dec
(Check out winners, winning poems & judges’ reports, 2021 & prior, on our previous-winners’-poems page.)
- Victoria Kennefick lives in County Kerry, studied at University College Cork, then at Emory University, & Georgia College & State University as part of a Fulbright Scholarship, co-hosts the Unlaunched Books Podcast & is a Listowel Writers Week committee-member. Her 2021 collection Eat or We Both Starve (Carcanet) was a ‘best poetry book of the year’ in both Telegraph & Irish Times, in addition to being shortlisted for the 2021 TS Eliot Prize.
- Joshua Bennett has read at the White House at the invitation of President Barack Obama, is Professor of English & Creative Writing at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire, & author of Being Property Once Myself: Blackness and the End of Man (Harvard, 2020) & Spoken Word: A Cultural History (forthcoming from Knopf). His poetry collections are The Sobbing School (2016, a National Poetry Series Selection & NAACP Image Award finalist), Owed (2020) & The Study of Human Life (publ. Sep 2022), all from Penguin.
- Poems: Poems may be submitted from any country & must be in English, must each be no longer than 45 lines, must show title & poem only, must not show poet’s name, must be the original work of the entrant (no translations) & must not have been previously published; no text alterations accepted after submission; no limit on number of poems or number of subsequent submissions.
- Submission: Email only, no postal entries: email your poems as attachments (.doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf only) to [email protected]; include in email: Poet’s Name & Address, Phone Number, List of Titles, Number of Poems, Total Fees, & PayPal Receipt Number.
- Fees: £5/€6/$7 per poem (Sterling/Euro/US-Dollars only); pay online (see below, PayPal account not required).
- Timeline: Submit by midnight (your local time) on Mon 26 Sep 2022; prize-winners will be contacted in week commencing Mon 21 Nov 2022.
- Acknowledgement/Results: Submissions acknowledged within 14 days of receipt; results posted on website after our Mon 5 Dec 2022 prize-night event; judges’ decision is final; no correspondence entered into.
- Email Address: By including email address you agree to receiving emails regarding annual Troubadour International Poetry Prize.
- Read more about the guideline here.