Deadline: August 31, 2022
Entry fee: £5
About the competition
This competition is open to all aged 18 or over, regardless of nationality or country of residence. There is no set theme. You may submit as many entries as you wish but there will be no more than one prize per author. You can find examples of what we like in our back issues and also in our Story of the Month features, as well as in the periodicals listed under Links. We’re generally looking for literary fiction not genre stories.
“Willesden Herald: New Short Stories 12” will be published simultaneously in the US and the UK and will be available from online booksellers by print on demand. We can also do print runs on favourable terms when bulk orders are requested. Our publisher is Willesden Herald Books, an imprint of Pretend Genius Press, which is a cooperative venture based in Maryland USA. The printers we use have production and distribution facilities in the US, the UK and Australia.
- Entries must be in English. We cannot consider translations.
- Entries must be entirely your own individual work and never previously published or broadcast.
- The word range this year is from 1000 to 7000 words.
- You must be aged 18 or over.
- Manuscripts must show no name, address or identifying marks other than the title of the story.
- Any comment or enquiry to the readers or judges about an entry before the results are out may disqualify.
- If your story has won a prize or was short-listed in another public competition, it is excluded.
- Entries must not contain any quotes for which copyright might have to be obtained, e.g. song lyrics.
- Please withdraw your story if it is accepted for publication elsewhere before our results are announced.
- Organisers and sponsors of this competition and their close relatives are excluded from entering.
- We will not enter into any correspondence about entries or results.
- Unfortunately we cannot help with any payment problems you might experience due to geographical location, computer system incompatibilities or other issues.
- Entries are only accepted by uploading via our page in the Submittable.com system.
- Enter your short story here.