Deadline: Feb 29, 2024
Entry fee: £7
About the competition
Exeter Writers have been running a short story competition since 2009 and this year the top prize is an enticing £700. There are also cash prizes for second place (£350), third place (£250) and an extra prize for the best entry from a writer living in Devon (£100).
The maximum word count is 3,000 words, not including the title, and there is no minimum word count.
Stories must have neither been previously published nor won a prize in any other competition.
Winning entries will also be published on the Exeter Writers website.
- We accept stories of any genre (except children’s stories).
- You can submit as many individual stories as you wish, each as a separate entry. All entries must be accompanied by an entrance fee, which is paid via the PayPal button on the entry form.
- Simultaneous submissions are not allowed.
- Stories must have neither been previously published nor won a prize in any other competition.
- You may re-enter a short story from a previous year.
- Entrants with Devon addresses will automatically be entered for the Devon Prize as well as the overall prizes, but cannot win both. However, the Devon Prize will only be awarded if the story has been placed on the shortlist.
- No story may win more than one prize.
- Read the whole guideline and submit an entry here.