Deadline: August 31, 2023
Entry fee: $8
About the competition
This summer we celebrate the meaning of gifts, exchanges and the stories we tell about them. This competition runs in partnership with the Bodleian Libraries’ Gifts and Books exhibition at the University of Oxford. Each entrant to the 2023 summer competition will also receive an e-book special edition Oxford Flash Fiction anthology.
The theme is still open and doesn’t have to be inspired by gifts.
- All entries must be formatted as a single-spaced word document or PDF.
Font: Arial, 12pt. This is to standardise entries so that all stories are treated equally. Only entries that are under the 1000-word limit (not including the title) will be accepted.
- All entries are judged anonymously, so you must include the title of the story but not your name or address, or any identifying information of the entrant.
- This is an international competition, and all entries must be in English.
- Stories that are homophobic, transphobic, racist, ableist, sexist, or discriminatory in any way will not be accepted.
- All entries must be the work of the person entering and must not have been published anywhere online (including blogs and websites) or accepted for publication elsewhere. The copyright remains with the author.
- Entries will not be accepted without payment, and any entries that do not comply with the competition rules will be disqualified.
- No corrections post-entry can be accepted or refunds given unless in exceptional circumstances.
- The results of the competition will be published online and the decision of the judge(s) will be final. Please note that unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted unless they have signed up to the mailing list.
- The closing date for entries is midnight (UK time) on the 31 January and 31 August. Winners will be notified by email four-six weeks after the closing dates.
- Entries will not be eligible where the writer is part of the judging process, or anyone involved in the management/administration of the Prize, or a close family relative of any such person.
- Read the whole guideline and submit an entry here.