Deadline: August 22, 2022
Entry fee: £9
About the competition
Our purpose is to shine a bright light on exceptional writing. We publish it, send it out into the world, champion it and act as a stepping stone for children’s authors to achieve their literary dreams.
We can’t wait to tell the world about you and your writing, so the top ten stories from each competition receive maximum recognition.
- Your story must be suitable for a young child.
- Your story must not exceed the 500 word limit, not including the title. Illustration notes are not included in the word count but please keep them to a minimum.
- Text only. No artwork.
- Your story should be double-spaced, a size 12 font, and submitted as a doc, docx or PDF file.
- Begin your story with the title. Please don’t include any other identifying information on the file, such as your name, as stories are read blind.
- Entries need to be in English.
- Multiple entries are permitted. However, we require a separate entry form and a new payment each time.
- Stories cannot be altered after they are submitted. Refunds are not given if a story is withdrawn.
- Entrants must be 16 years and over.
- Stories must be previously unpublished. However, self-published picture books are eligible.
- Entries from authors worldwide are welcome.
- Entries must be the work of the entrant.
- While entrants retain full copyright, by entering the Best Children’s Picture Book 2022 competition you give permission, if shortlisted, for us to publish your name, photograph, biography and the title of your winning story on the Searchlight Awards’ website.
- By entering the Best Children’s Picture Book 2022 competition you give permission, if shortlisted, for us to publish a short extract of your story on our website, the full story in our annual printed Anthology (publication date: 2023) and the Winners’ Collection, which will be sent to UK literary agents and publishers. If you do not wish to have your story published you may opt out on the entry form.
- The decision of the readers and judges is final. No correspondence will be entered into regarding judging. We are unable to provide individual feedback.
- The competition organisers have the right to change the judge.
- Results will be posted on the Searchlight Awards’ website and winners will be emailed on 27th January 2023.
- By entering the Best Children’s Picture Book 2022 competition, entrants agree to these rules.
- Enter the competition here.