Deadline: July 31, 2023
Entry fee: €19
About the competition
The Seán Ó Faoláin Short Story Competition is an annual short story competition open to writers from around the world, submissions accepted from May 1st to July 31st annually. It is dedicated to one of Ireland’s most accomplished story writers and theorists and is sponsored by the Munster Literature Centre.
The competition is open to original, unpublished and unbroadcast short stories in the English language of 3,000 words or fewer. The story can be on any subject, in any style, by a writer of any nationality, living anywhere in the world.
Translated work is not in the scope of this competition. Entrants may submit more than one entry. Once entered, no alterations can be made to the submission.
Simultaneous submissions are accepted but please notify us immediately should your work be accepted elsewhere.
Send to: [email protected]
Subject: SOF entry
Attachment 1: the story for submission (Word or other text document – we cannot accept PDFs). As the competition is judged anonymously, we request that you do not write your name or personal details anywhere on this document.
Attachment 2: cover letter (separate text document attached to the same email, not in the body of the email). The cover letter should include:
- Your name
- Story title
- Email address
- Phone number
- Postal address
- Image of PayPal receipt or the PayPal transaction ID number
- How your heard about the competition
- A brief bio (optional)
Payment of the €19 entry fee can be made through PayPal. PayPal will deduct the fee in your own currency.
- Submission manuscript (typed). To ensure anonymity, please do not write your name or any other personal details on the manuscript.
- Cover letter: see required details above. Cover letter should be on a separate page to ensure anonymity.
- Payment: If you have paid through PayPal, just quote the PayPal transaction ID. Alternatively, we accept cheques or bank drafts payable to the “Munster Literature Centre” in Euro, U.S Dollars or Pounds Sterling at a rate of €19 EUR, $22 USD or £18 GBP for each entry. We also accept postal orders from the Republic of Ireland only. Please note that we cannot accept cash payment or Western Union money orders.
- Send to:Seán Ó Faoláin Competition,
The Munster Literature Centre,
84 Douglas Street,
Cork, T12 X802
- Please do not sent entries by registered post. Unfortunately, we are less likely to receive entries sent by registered post and your submission may be ineligible due to the delay incurred.
- If you would like us to send you confirmation of your postal entry, please include a self-addressed stamped postcard or envelope (if posted within Ireland). We can confirm the receipt of international entries via email.
- Read the whole guideline and submit your entry here.