Deadline: December 31, 2022
About the competition
Flash Fiction February, now in its sixth year, is an event during which we will feature a new piece of flash fiction throughout February 2023. That’s a new story every day starting on 1 February for the entire month. As always, we’re interested in stories with a contemporary feel that give an insight into the human condition. They may be on any subject. They may be challenging, unsettling, playful, cryptic but above all, they must be well-crafted and compelling.
- Submit your story as an attachment to [email protected] with ‘FFF 2023’ in the subject line of your email. No PDFs, thank you.
- For Flash Fiction February we’re tweaking our usual word count so only stories of between 200–850 words please.
- Please include a bio of no more than 75 words written in the third person with links that you would like to be included.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome but please let us know right away if your story is accepted elsewhere.
- We do not accept multiple submissions. Please submit only one story during this submissions window.
- Your submission must not have been previously published, either in print or online (including your own blog or social media).
- Regrettably, we can’t offer payment for the stories we publish. We do, however, nominate the best stories for well-known annual awards.
- The deadline for submissions is midnight December 31 2022. Authors will be notified of our decision by January 14 2023 at the latest.
- The chosen stories will appear from 1–28 February 2023.
- We reserve the right to remove stories from the website without notice.
- By submitting to Fictive Dream you agree to grant First Serial Rights and non exclusive Electronic Archival Rights to show your work indefinitely on our site. Copyright reverts to the author on publication. We ask that your work does not appear in another publication for three months from the date of publication in Fictive Dream. If, after this time, your work is published in subsequent publications, print or online, we ask that Fictive Dream be acknowledged as the first publisher.
- Note that for standard submissions (500–2,500 words) we remain open as usual.
- Read the whole guideline here.