Deadline: February 15, 2022
About the competition
This $1,000 award recognizes the work of a translator for a poetry collection translated from any language into English and published in the previous calendar year. Established in 1976, it is given annually. A noted translator chooses the winning book.
Submissions for the 2023 Harold Morton Landon Translation Award will be accepted from September 15, 2022 through February 15, 2023. The judge is Anna Deeny Morales.
- Any translator who meets one of the below criteria on the date of the submission deadline, in any given year, is eligible:
- U.S. Citizen
- resident of the United States for the ten-year period prior to the submission deadline, or
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), Legal Permanent Status (LPS), or any subsequent categories designated by the U.S. authorities as conferring similar enhanced status upon non-citizens living in the United States.
Please note: By law the Academy of American Poets must report cash prizes awarded to individuals to the Internal Revenue Service. If individuals have a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), the individual will receive a 1099. If the individual does not have an SSN or ITIN, the individual will receive a 1042 and could be subject to a withholding of a percentage of the cash prize.
- Only books published in the United States during 2022 are eligible for the 2023 prize.
- Books must be published in a standard edition (48 pages or more).
- Collaborations by up to two translators are eligible.
- Self-published books will not be considered.
- The Academy of American Poets agrees to purchase for distribution to its members copies of the winning book. The Academy of American Poets may purchase additional copies of the book for its own use, but not for resale. No royalties will be paid to the author on the copies purchased by the Academy of American Poets. The publisher agrees to make available to the Academy of American Poets the number of copies requested and to sell the books at a special discount based on a percentage markup of the PPB (printing, paper, and binding) costs.
- Only online submissions are accepted for the award through Submittable: poets.submittable.com/submit.
- The winner will be announced in September 2023.
- All correspondence concerning the contest should be addressed to the Academy of American Poets and sent to [email protected].
- The decisions of the Academy of American Poets as to eligibility are final.
- Read the whole guideline and enter the competition here.
Please note: It’s the mission of the Academy of American Poets to support American poets at all stages of their careers and to foster the appreciation of contemporary poetry. In furtherance of our mission, we are committed to maintaining the highest standards of quality and integrity in our publications and programs, and expect and require the same from the poets with whom we collaborate.
All applicants and selected award recipients agree that, as part of their eligibility to receive the Harold Morton Landon Translation Award, they will maintain the highest standards of fairness, decency and personal integrity, in the Academy’s sole discretion, including with adherence to all applicable laws and community values. The decisions of the Academy of American Poets regarding eligibility, both initial and throughout the award period, are final.