Deadline: November 30, 2022
About the competition
Once again The London Society aims to celebrate the city in all its life, charm and mystery, with a free to enter writing competition “Love Letters to London”. We want Londoners – as well as non-Londoners who wish to celebrate this place – to tell us why they love the city. Write us up to 500 words around the theme of “making connections”.
Entries can have been published elsewhere, but must fit the brief and have been written in 2022.
- The competition is open to anyone aged under 18 (‘11 and under’ and ‘12-18’ categories) and 18 or over at the time of entering (‘open’ and ‘poetry’ categories). International entries are welcome.
- All entries must have a title and must not exceed 500 words or for poems 40 lines in length (excluding title). Entries are to be around the theme of “making connections” on can be about any aspect of London’s past, present or future. It can be reportage, an historical essay, a ‘think piece’, a spot of futurology, a work of fiction, a poem.
- Entries must be the entrant’s original work.
- Entries can have been published elsewhere but must fit the brief and have been written in 2022.
- The closing date of the competition is noon (UK time), 30 November 2022.
- Entries must be a Word or Google Docs file with title (no PDFs). All entries will be judged anonymously, so the first page of the entry should have the title of your entry, and your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address.
- There is a limit of three on the number of entries a single entrant can make.
- No one can win more than one category.
- Entries will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- Under no circumstances can alterations be made to the pieces once entered.
- Online entries should be sent to [email protected]
- Telephone or email confirmation of receipt is not available. The London Society is unable to confirm the content of documents submitted online or by post, so please ensure you send the correct version.
- Online entries are preferred, but postal entries may be sent to: Love Letters Competition, The London Society c/o 7 Alfriston Road, London SW11 6NS
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the judging panel without notice and not to award prizes if, in the judges’ opinion, such an action is justified.
- All entries are read, The decision of the judges is final; neither the judges nor The London Society will enter into any correspondence.
- No one associated with running the Competition, or a Trustee of The London Society, can enter the competition.
- Copyright in all entries will remain with the entrant, but The London Society has the right to use any entry for free in its own publications in print, online or in other media.
- Please read the whole guideline here.
- Submit your entry here.